Birds, Big and Small

Interestingly enough, I have seen the both the largest bird and smallest bird that I have ever seen in nature since we've moved into our condo.  (Well, largest in the US, since we did see wild emu in Australia!)

A few weeks ago, we were vacuuming the downstairs living room, and I looked out the window and saw something moving in the field outside. I thought it was a deer at first, but the color was wrong. I realized what it was and sprinted upstairs to get the camera, telling Francisco, "I have to go. There are turkeys."

They always show up in a pair, which I think is super-cute!
They are big birds. My parents have made plenty of jokes about me catching Thanksgiving dinner. ;-)

However, my bird obsession has centered around the hummingbirds as of late. I would see these tiny, darting little critters around as we relaxed on the deck, and I've been desperate to get a decent picture of them. They're just so darn fast! You only have the profile here, but I think it's still kind of a cool pic.
I've been getting even luckier. They actually started resting for a minute and sitting on some of the branches outside to give me more of a chance to focus the camera.
Will I ever get a good action shot? I don't know - this is probably the best photo we've gotten so far of a hummingbird in action.
A downy woodpecker stopped by to see what was up with this new birdfeeder. Francisco was like, "look, a hummingbird is here! Wait a second..." Haha.
I think these are Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, as these are the only species of hummingbird that regularly nests east of the Mississippi River in the US.
The pics below of the female hummingbird are probably the absolute best we have gotten so far. The lighting was probably as perfect as it was ever going to get, and she was just sitting in the tree right next to the deck.
It ended up being a great afternoon for bird-watching on the deck this weekend. A robin stopped by to try to get some attention...we did finally get a piece ordered for our regular bird feeder, so hopefully we see an increase in our bird population soon.
Happy Friday, y'all!

Comments

Popular Posts