I Deactivated My Facebook

I take part in numerous online surveys. One that I'm currently involved in is called the Stanford Online Experience Study, and the study required a temporary deactivation of my Facebook account along with periodic text message submissions of my current happiness level. I've read numerous articles about the link between social media and unhappiness, so I was honestly curious to see how this experiment went. I was only required to leave my Facebook account deactivated for 24 hours, but I decided not to log back in immediately...that was over a week ago. Here are some of the things I realized...
1// Facebook Controls More than Just Facebook
Honestly, the biggest frustration is that I can't pick up where I left off on Farm Heroes Saga. LOL, I've been playing this game for years, and it's my preferred at-work break activity. Unfortunately, Facebook is linked to numerous apps - I know there is another one on my phone that I can't use without first logging into Facebook as well. Also, I follow some people that host giveaways on their Facebook accounts, and I keep thinking of all the things I could be missing out on winning! 

2// I'm Ever So Slightly Less Unhappy
I think feelings of unhappiness are often more deep-rooted than a short intermission from Facebook will be able to fix, but I think I've noticed the slightest uptick in happiness. Namely, less anxiety from not seeing some of those provocative posts that just tend to rub you the wrong way.

3// What's the Point?
A friend messaged me at the end of last week after noticing my profile wasn't active anymore. As I explained the study, I also noted that I've tried to take this as an opportunity to reevaluate how I'm using social media. I'm not sure that it's actually helped bolster my real-world friendships much. I want it to be a supplement to relationships, not a substitute. Scrolling though our feed without actually engaging kind of defeats the purpose of social media. When I reactivate my account, I want to do less idle scrolling and more focused engagement as I catch up on what's going on in everyone's lives.

4// I Miss My Mom
She called me today and said she wouldn't be getting on Facebook anymore because she'd looked everywhere, and I was no longer there. I explained I'd deactivated my account temporarily, and she made clear that the only reason she gets on Facebook is to see what pictures and videos I've posted. I already knew that, and I've tried redirecting her to my YouTube channel and seeing if I can convince her to open an Instagram account. Either way, I know it's just easier for her to go to my Facebook page and see everything there.

5// It Wasn't Hard
Besides the fact that it's interfering with my daily gaming and I know my mom likes to keep up with me on Facebook, I didn't miss checking in there much.  I have enough to keep my time occupied without turning to Facebook, but that's never stopped me from checking in throughout a normal day.

6// I Think I Need to Snooze More People
Like I mentioned earlier, there are definitely some people who post things that can get under my skin, but I've never been one to unfriend someone over something like that. I know there's a feature where you can stop seeing posts from certain people, and I may need to take advantage of that. To some, Facebook has become a platform for preaching personal beliefs with little regard for the perspective of others. There are people who make clear that they only want to support their own agenda and not have balanced conversations. For my own sanity, it may be best if I try and filter these folks out a little better.

I'll probably reactivate my Facebook account soon - I don't want my mom to miss out on all of the trivial things that happen in my day-to-day life. 😉However, my objective is to change my overall social media usage at least a little bit to become more engaged with the online community. The same way that the negativity and the judgment prominently posted on some individuals' Facebook pages can impact my day, I think the positivity and encouragement can make a difference as well.  

Comments

Popular Posts