July Birchbox vs. Ipsy

Birchbox
Is it just me or does the July Birchbox contents look rather sparse?  I saw another blog that goes through each item and notes how much each sample actually would cost; I think this is a good way to judge the value of a box, so I will take a stab at that below based on the cost of each full-size product. 


ColorClub Wanderlust Collection: London Calling
This is part of a set; if purchased alone, it would cost $2.00. 
Holy neon.  So, as thrilled as I was to see another nail polish in the box, I'm still curious as to why Birchbox did a repeat product. It's a different shade than June's selection, but it's from the same Wanderlust collection. This month I received the London Calling shade, which is a minty green color.  It's so bright it looks like it would glow in the dark.  I don't know if this is a feature of all neon polishes, but I also noticed last month that these polishes seem to make my fingers look more tan.

I tried out this nail polish in a sort of mint ice cream manicure, as posted here.  


Caudalie Divine Legs
$1.79
This is a tinted lotion - basically a bronzer. I don't tan - I'm totally comfortable with my natural light skin color, but it's nice to mix it up with some extra color sometimes.  It smells good, but it dispenses very dark and it takes a minute or so to work in to your legs.  Even then, I had streaks and splotches in some areas, so it definitely could have used more moisture overall.     

ModelCo Party Proof Lipstick
$8
I'm much more of a lip gloss kind of gal, so I don't think this lipstick was right for me.  I had the Peony shade, which applied really easily and had good pigmentation.  It even had a sweet smell, which was nice.   

Dr. Jart+ Ceramidin Cream
$7.68
This face lotion had a bit of a medicinal smell, but it felt moisturizing. I applied it in the morning at first, but it doesn't have SPF, so it's probably best as a nighttime lotion.     

Birchbox Bobby Pins
$1.67
I received the green pair of bobby pins. I didn't love them. They're cute-ish but not terribly functional. And they're hard to remove without pulling hair.  

Total Value $21.14 
If you're interested in subscribing, click here for my referral link. The value of the box was twice its cost, so that's not bad.  

ipsy
This was my first month subscribing to ipsy. Similar to Birchbox, this is a $10 monthly subscription. Each shipment comes in a make-up bag instead of packaged in a box. While Birchbox rewards you for reviewing your monthly products on their website, it does not look like ipsy has the same program. However, for my first ipsy 'box', I was pretty happy with it, and I'm looking forward to August's Glam bag. Also, it looks like your feedback will help personalize your Glam bag.

The only thing I disliked was the bag itself. My husband remarked that it kind of had a cheap 90s vibe to it.  

Here are the contents:

POP Beauty Pouty Pop Crayon
$4.17
I received the Coral Crush color. It glides on very easily, has a nice scent, and the color is okay.

BH Cosmetics California Collection Eyeshadow Sample
$1.05
Good pigmentation.


Coola Mineral Face SPF 20 Unscented Moisturizer
$5.04
Decent product - maybe a little greasy.  I've tried the Coola cucumber scented moisturizer/sunscreen before, and it smelled like salad dressing, so the unscented was definitely better.    

Sexy Hair Weather Proof Humidity Resistant Spray
$2.37
Maybe I didn't use enough of this product, but I didn't notice any significant benefit.

derma e Microdermabrasion Scrub
$16.25
Good value for this sample. It had a fresh, lemony scent, and it was very fine-grained. I really liked it.

Total Value $28.88
Good value for my first ipsy bag - almost 3 times its cost! Please use this referral link if you're interested in subscribing.     

Comments

Popular Posts