Wednesday Weekend Wind-Up: Birthday Week

I still find it hard to believe that my birthday has come and gone already. That means the year is half-over!  For my birthday eve, I pulled up a few menus from different restaurants for Francisco to choose from. It was no surprise to me that he picked the place that (A) was in Kentucky, i.e. not downtown and (B) had pizza. 

Camporosso was good, but it really didn't blow me away.  I enjoyed the Quattro Formaggi Wood-Fired Pizza, but I kind of found their menu options to be limited - and was really hoping for a dessert section as well. 
Camporosso
We decided to swing by Hello Honey, an old favorite ice cream shop of ours to fill that missing dessert slot.
Hello Honey
I used to say Hello Honey was my fave ice cream shop in Cincy, but I think that spot has been stolen by Dojo Gelato now.  I had the Cookies + Pie with Honey Caramel Sauce and a torched marshmallow on top (2nd cup below). 
Hello Honey
My birthday conveniently fell on a Saturday [if it could do that every year, that'd be great, thanks]. Don't let the below picture fool you; this gift is being returned. I was definitely surprised to open these presents from Francisco, but I don't feel like buying a new video game system really meshes well with our bigger goals right now.  We're definitely just in a different place in our lives than years before when we were much more extravagant gift-givers. 
We headed downtown to spend the afternoon playing games at The Rook. I was on a mission to try Ticket to Ride, which I'd heard good things about. We enjoyed it, and we had time for a couple other games before we headed home. 
We grabbed some Gomez Salsa, then headed home for mojitos and fun. 
Sunday morning, Francisco ran out to pick up Starbuck's and Holtman's for breakfast.
We later got an order of Mac's Pizza.
Our final indulgence was an Elm & Elder Sundae from Dojo Gelato.  Yaaas, still my favorite.
I worked Monday and Tuesday, and then we both had Wednesday, the 4th of July off. It is rull awkward to have Independence Day in the middle of the week. We made a batch of some simple Raspberry Lemonade Sangria, and then we just spent most of the day playing games. 
I gave myself the birthday gift of taking Thursday and Friday as PTO. Unfortunately, Francisco still had to work, but I had plenty of time to get caught up on some YouTube and various organization projects on the computer. 

After Francisco got home from work Thursday, we went out to try the Wahlburger's restaurant that had recently opened downtown. They were out of the specific burger we wanted to try, so that was disappointing. 
Wahlburger's
We had a much more enjoyable meal experience at Condado Tacos the following day. Although Francisco inadvertently ordered a margarita that came with a side of beer, and he at first thought that he didn't hate this beer until there was more beer left than margarita, and we were reminded why neither of us likes beer. But the margs were on happy hour special at half-off. The elote queso was delicious. I think the tacos were on special, too, but mine was too spicy - will definitely be back and will try a less spicy taco.  [Why do I think pickled jalapenos won't be as spicy? :)] 
Condado Tacos
On Saturday, we did a lot of grocery shopping, stopping at Target, Trader Joe's, and Kroger. Our primary mission was to pick up ingredients to bake a Chocolate Dulce de Leche cake as a belated birthday indulgence. Note to self: three sticks of butter in buttercream is probably too much butter even if the recipe calls for it.  Also note: fancy cakes will require like 4 hours in the kitchen. Your feet will hurt by the end of it.
I don't feel like this birthday was particularly memorable, and TBH, that kind of bums me out. We did a few little things, but I was hoping for more of a birthday event [like last year when we went to Put-in-Bay.] I think all I might remember about this birthday is that I made myself a cake. Eh, I guess that's something.

Comments

Popular Posts