November Ipsy v. Sample Society

ipsy
On November 12th, I received an email from Ipsy that my Glam Bag had shipped - and it was in my hands the next day! Not bad. :) This month's theme was Glam It Up - now is the season for holiday events and parties, so this bag featured some 'go-to products to help you get glam.'
The gold bag itself might have been my least fave so far, but its contents were pretty outstanding!
Nailtini Straight Up Color Nail Lacquer
Sample value: This was a full-sized product that retails for $13.00.
I received Caviar Cocktail, a gunmetal gray color spiked with shimmer. On one hand, I was excited to receive a gray color because I don't think I have any in my collection, but I would have been happier if it wasn't a metallic polish. This was a bit brush-stroke-y like metallic polishes tend to be.  Other than that, good formula.
I just did a simple dot manicure using Caviar Cocktail as the base. 
Pixi Beauty Bronzer
$5.50
This bronzer provided a nice subtle color, which can add a little something to paler complexions on dreary winter-like days.  I received the Subtly Suntouched shade. 
em Michelle Phan Waterliner Intense Color Eyeliner
$20.00
This was a full-sized product to celebrate the launch of Michelle Phan's new make-up line. The shade I received was called Bronze Kiss, and this applied really smoothly. Ipsy subscribers also receive 30% off any purchases made at the em cosmetics website.  
everEZlashes Lash Double Pack
$5.99
I was somewhat oddly excited to see false eyelashes in this month's bag...I didn't think I would like them, but I've always been vaguely interested in trying them.  There was a nasty rumor started in one of the ipsy forums that this product didn't include adhesive, and I fell for it and was frustrated until I realized that yes indeed there was a small tube of adhesive in the back of the package. Basically, false eyelashes were everything I thought they would be: annoying to apply, didn't quite sit right against my natural lashes, left a little bit of sticky residue on my lashes...truth be told, I would be willing to bet that these factors were all due to my technique and being inexperienced in applying them. :-P On the positive side, they added mega-volume and really make for a dramatic impact. Because I am lazy and easily frustrated with such things, I probably wouldn't seek these out again, but I think they are great if you're going for a high-impact look and have the patience!
Starlooks Gem Eye Pencil
$14.00 - As far as I can tell, this is a full-sized pencil.  
I received the Amethyst color, which is a metallic lilac shade.  It applied very easily, and while I found it a little light to be used on its own as an eyeliner, it makes a pretty shimmery eyeshadow or you can couple it with a darker liner. 
Be a Bombshell Lip Crayon
$14.00 - This looks to be a full-sized product as well!
I actually really liked this lip color in Shameless. It applied really easily, and it was a piece of cake to control how much product ended up on your lips. I usually don't prefer a dark lip, but a light application added a subtle tint to my lips.  

Total Value $72.49
Yeah, you're reading that right! This month's ipsy bag was well over $70 in value. At a cost of only $10, that is a steal!
Please use this referral link if you're interested in subscribing to Ipsy. A monthly subscription is $10.

BeautyBar.com Sample Society with Allure 
If waiting a couple weeks into the month is a little long for you, this box may be ideal!  I received an email that my box had shipped on 11/04/13, and it was in hand by 11/06/13.

This month's theme was 'Winter Wonders', and it featured products that are ideal for transitioning into the chilliest months of the year. 
Jane Iredale Lip Drink Lip Balm
$6.00? (? = Estimate from other blogs)
This lip balm smells deliciously lemony and it glides on to my lips smoothly. It isn't color-less, but it is perfect for a light layer or as a base for a darker lip color. 
Borghese Splendore Brightening Make-Up
$29.50 - Full-size
This make-up adds a sheen and tint to your complexion. A little goes a long way.  Too much and your face just looks oily. But just the right amount, say to your cheekbones, livens up your face. 
Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien Eau de Toilette
$3.25
This was a citrusy fragrance that is perfect for livening up gray, chilly days.  The scent did seem to fade quicker than I would've liked though, so plan to reapply!
Murad Anti-Aging Acne Pore & Line Minimizing Hydrator
$9.61
I didn't love the scent of this one, but it worked just fine as a moisturizer.
Illume Balsam & Cedar Soy Candle
$9.00?
Balsam & cedar is a scent selection I would tend to shy away from...I am more of a warm vanilla kind of gal. ;-) Surprisingly, I didn't hate it.  It has a rustic Christmas-y smell - pleasant and not too overwhelming. 

Total Value $57.36
If you are thinking of trying out Sample Society, please use this unique code, RXCK109088, at the Beauty Bar website, so I can receive referral credit.  

Comments

  1. So, why aren't there cool "grab bags" for guys?
    Maybe like full of nails, screws, tools, computer gadgets, sports toys...? Can you get to work on that for me?
    :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They totally have monthly subscription boxes for EVERYONE. I love it! Birchbox has a Men's Box, https://www.birchbox.com/men/box, and there are a ton of different ones out there, http://www.subscriptionboxes.com/.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts