New Year of Frugality

We didn't really set New Year's resolutions this year. Honestly, I tend to set goals for myself on a regular basis, so I've never focused a huge amount on a big annual resolution. However, if this year was to have a theme, it would probably center around frugality. We're at that point in our lives where we've realized we need to be saving more and making the future we want happen. It would help matters if we had a more clear idea of how we want that future to look, but I imagine we'll keep talking about it and try to come up with a plan.

We built our budget for the year, and we're starting off January by setting a loose goal of not spending any money at restaurants.  If you know us, then you know we love to go out to eat, but obviously, that can get pricey. I have to admit I've already been tempted, and I can't guarantee that we'll make it through the month, but we've already done 11 days of the year so far, so that's a start!

It's almost a guarantee that every Friday we go out to eat, but instead of going out to a Mexican restaurant last week, we decided to prepare our own meal at home instead. This was our first time making Mexican rice at home. We had tostadas and mixed up a couple margaritas and played salsa music to set the atmosphere lol.
Over the rest of the weekend, we made a Caramel Apple Pear Pie, a simple cheese platter, and breakfast tostadas. [Thanks, Martha, for getting us on a tostada kick lol!]
We set the stage with a super low-key New Year's celebration the weekend prior; we just stayed home like we've been doing the last few years.
It was a peaceful afternoon of games and YouTube and appetizers - and a few tequila shots, of course!
I don't know how this theme will play out throughout the year, but at the very least, I expect it will help us make more purposeful decisions in how we spend our money. Cheers!

Comments

  1. Super awesome.. I'm in the process of seeing where I can make cuts as well and going out to eat is a major one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a painful one, but I figure I can at least get through one month...hopefully lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts