October Ipsy v. Sample Society

I cancelled my Birchbox subscription for the time being, so this will be the first month in a long time that I won't be posting a review for that brand. However, I still loved my Ipsy bag, and I tried a new subscription this month that I really enjoyed as well!

ipsy
I didn't note the exact date ipsy arrived, but it was sometime around the middle of the month.  This month's theme was Art of Beauty.
The bag features a quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson, and it is a rather fitting theme for October where those of us who choose to dress up for Halloween often use some kind of make-up to complete our look. Creating your perfect look is akin to creating art, and you are the canvas. :)
Zoya Nail Polish
Sample value: This was a full-size bottle, which retails for $8.00 normally.  
It's hard not to get excited when your bag contains a Zoya nail polish!  I received Zoya Giovanna from the Fall 2013 Cashmeres and Satins Collection. Admittedly, green is pretty far down on my list of fave nail polish colors, but it's fitting for the season and emerald is the 2013 Pantone color of the year. 
I wore green nails for a day or two than did accent nails using Zoya Jacy and striping tape.  The polish had decent wear, but there was some staining when I removed it. Not unusual for a shade of green like this. 
Top photo: Sunlight; Bottom: With Flash
Bella Terra Mineral Cosmetics Mineral Shimmer
$11.99
I loved the color of this - blue is definitely high up there for me. This deep Navy shade was beautifully pigmented.  I have only tried it as a simple eyeshadow, but it is advertised as an 8-in-1 product on its website as it can be used as a creamy eye shadow, matte eyeshadow, eyeliner, lip color, nail polish, mascara, body glitter, and hair color for fun hair streaks.
Coastal Scents Medium Shadow Brush
$2.49
I used this eyeshadow brush with the Bella Terra Mineral Shimmer, and it grabbed the color fairly easily for application.
Sexy Hair Spray Clay Texturizing Spray Clay
$8.00
I know there are some people who swear by this brand. I don't love 'em, but I don't hate 'em. It was just an okay product to me. This product is supposed to give you the effect of clay in an easy to use spray form. Eh.
Starlooks Lip Pencil
$12.00
Tipsy was a pink color that I kind of liked. It had good pigmentation and easy application.
Total Value $42.48
Please use this referral link if you're interested in subscribing to Ipsy. A monthly subscription is $10.

BeautyBar.com Sample Society with Allure 
Since Birchbox left a gap to be filled, I used this opportunity to try out Sample Society. For $15 a month, you receive five deluxe-sized samples from the world's best luxury brands. You also get a $15 monthly gift code to redeem on a $50 purchase when any product from the brands you sampled is included in your order as well as an exclusive mini-magazine from Allure.

I've got to say, I loved everything about this subscription as soon as it arrived. Number one, it was here so quickly - days into the month, not weeks!  And it's just...more attractive?!  It arrives all professional-looking, neatly packaged in a sturdy black box. So, here are the New Fall Favorites that were featured in the box.
IPKN BB Cream
$10.37
This lightly fragranced BB cream applies a little dark, so just be sure to use a light hand - especially if you're fair-skinned. Includes SPF 45, which is awesome!
Pur-Lisse Youth Preserve Skin Serum
$18.24
I smoothed this clear serum over moisturizer, and my skin did feel smoother.  The scent isn't terribly strong, but it's slightly unpleasant - reminded me of glue.  
Minus 417 Hand Moisturizer
$7.50
This was a lightly-fragranced, thick moisturizer.  
Butter LONDON 3 Free Nail Lacquer, The Old Bill
$15.00
I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I LOVED this product.  Heck, this single product make the box worth it in value. 'The Old Bill' was a smooth deep-gold shade with a slight shimmer, and the formula really was like butter.
Bottom left: Shade; Right: Sun
I did a simple glitter gradient using Pretty & Polished's Love is Autumn-atic.
Bottom left: Shade; Right: Sun
Malin + Goetz Vitamin E Face Moisturizer
$11.25
This moisturizer absorbed easily, and it was fragrance-free, so it had just a hint of a medicinal fragrance. There was no SPF, so I used this as a nightly moisturizer. 
 Total Value $62.36
This was an awesome first box. It is a little more pricey at $15/month vs. $10 for Birchbox or Ipsy, but nevertheless, the total value ended up being 4 times the cost! If you are thinking of trying out Sample Society, please use this unique code, RXCK109088, at the Beauty Bar website, so I can receive referral credit.  

Comments

Popular Posts