August Birchbox v. Ipsy

Birchbox
The August Birchbox theme was 'Finishing School', alluding to the finishing touches to complete a look.

(MALIN + GOETZ) gentle neroli shampoo 
Sample value: An 8 oz. bottle retails for $20.00. I received 2 small packages, .17 oz each, so the total value of the shampoo samples would be $0.85.

Overall, I liked this shampoo. It had a fresh, almost citrus-y scent, it rinsed out clean, and it left my hair feeling clean and smooth. I was disappointed that there was not an accompanying conditioner sample!

Juice Beauty Oil-free Moisturizer
$7
This was a decent-sized sample, but I didn't love the product. The scent was a little unpleasant, and the lotion was a little slow to absorb. It didn't contain any SPF, which is something that I don't like with a product that is partially designed for morning use.  

stila stay all day liquid lipstick
$6.60

I do not normally wear lipstick, so I would say that my application of this product was flawed. I found that it left me with a bit of 'clown mouth' and it didn't apply evenly. However, if you know what you are doing, I think this product would be great. I received the 'beso' shade, which is a very deep red color. It smelled faintly of cookie dough, and it glides on your lips like lip gloss.  It's designed to last, and it definitely will last for hours.  

Whish Exfoliating Body Wash  
$4.89
This body wash had a nice coconut scent, a light lather, and light exfoliation. Good for everyday use.

Whish Hair Inhibiting Deodarant Swipes
$0.73 - It is a little bit hard to tell by the photo on the Birchbox site, but I believe it says there are 30 wipes in the full-size product. The box retails for $22.00.
This was the Beauty Extra for the month. It smelled really good - like a light, fresh perfume. I still noticed a pleasant scent several hours after I'd applied. But I don't think I would supplement this for my deodorant unless I just happened to run out. I did not notice any 'hair inhibition', but with only a single wipe to test, it's hard to say if long-term use would yield more positive results.  

Total Value $20.07
If you're interested in subscribing, click here for my referral link. A monthly subscription is $10.

ipsy
ipsy's theme this month was 'Glamour Academy'. The bag itself was much cuter this month than it was in July! The product selection wasn't half-bad either. ;-)




Pixi Beauty Lash Booster Mascara in Blackest Black
$7.14
I liked this mascara, and it seems to last forever! Which is good if you have a long day ahead of you, but you may need some make-up remover on hand at the end of the day.  

Michael Todd Jojoba Charcoal Gentle Exfoliating Facial Scrub
$5.40
This is designed to be used after you cleanse your face for added exfoliation. It's a black liquid that makes your face looks like you smeared watery mud on it until you rinse it off.  I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. I just think I've tried better exfoliating products.

NYX Powder Blush
$5.00
I received the Desert Rose shade, which is darker than the blush I normally use. I liked it; I just had to remember to use a lighter hand when applying it.
 
noya Lip Balm
$3.99
I loved this Vanilla lip balm, which also happens to be kosher and natural. The smell is divine, and it glides on smoothly.   

Pacifica Alright Multi-Mineral BB Cream
$5.33
I think this product delivered exactly as described, so if you are looking to be "natural, dewy, youthful, and radiant without looking like you are wearing heavy make-up", this might be the perfect product for you. BB Creams can be great for evening out your skin tone without that heavy make-up feel.  During a BzzCampaign a few months ago, I used Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector Oil-Free B.B. Cream. I ended up liking this product very much - the coverage is a little better than this Pacifica product while also matte-ifying (reviews here and here).  

Total Value $26.86
Good value again this month - ~$6 more than Birchbox. Please use this referral link if you're interested in subscribing.   

Comments

Popular Posts